Wednesday, May 21, 2014

About My Past - How I Got Into Programming

In the first post, I said I started programming about 2 years ago. It is true, but it was not very frequent at that time. I would program something once every month. So it was like occasional.

When I was about 7 years old, we were taught LOGO at school. It was a program where you entered commands to move a turtle and it could be used for drawing. I wouldn't really call this programming.

I started programming with QBASIC. It was my first programming language and it was taught in school. I think I was about 10 years old. I think I loved programming since a kid. I wrote a 100 line program. It was a quiz and I thought it was amazing. It was the longest thing I ever wrote. All my friends were amazed and I was feeling very happy.

Then one day, I asked my cousin brother (He is good at programming) to tell me about C++. He told me a lot about it and I started learning it. I can't remember if I was learning C++ before my brother helped me. I started making some fun programs with it. Like 'Guess The Number', 'Bank Simulator' and some more stuff.

I learned Visual Basic at school, although it wasn't very useful. It was the same time as I started C++.

I even made a 'Text Based Adventure' game. Which was another milestone for me. At this time I was about 12 years old. At that time, I thought, when will I be able to make a game with graphics.

Time passed, I finally decided to get into graphics. This was when I started hating C++ and switched to Java. Mainly because it was difficult to use external libraries in C++ and using multiple files in C++ was frustrating. You had to manage the .cpp file and also the .header file. A lot of you didn't even understand that, but still.

I started Java and then switched to C++ after sometime. Then I switched back to Java and finally decided to be with Java, because now I really hated C++. I became comfortable with Java in a few weeks and made little programs with it as well.

Then I got into making games. It was a little complicated at first. Basically because of the sheer amount of things you have to learn before you can even make something small. Then I kinda got used to it and it became fun. I made a lot of small games. They were crappy but, I learned something new every time.

As time went, I did small things and it became a weekly thing. I started getting into algorithms and stuff.
And now here I am talking to you.

That was a lot of words. I am surprised you read it all. Anyways, that's basically it. I think I told everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment